Million Mile SecretsMillion Mile Secrets Team
Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners.
Just after Starwood released their 2018 hotel category changes, Marriott has announced they are changing award prices for 1,300+ Marriott hotels beginning March 6, 2018. And it’s NOT good news.
Over 1,000 hotels are going up in category, and the rest are dropping. Most of the affected hotels are in the US. But if you make a reservations before March 6, 2018, you’ll still get the current award price.
I’ll explain more about these changes. Because for certain hotels, it’s best to book now. But for others, it’s better to wait!
Effective March 6, 2018, award prices of 1,300+ Marriott hotels will either increase or decrease.
Marriott hotels include:
If you want to lock-in the current prices, you MUST make your reservations before March 6, 2018.
Hotels Increasing in Price
1,000+ hotels are going up in price. Some notable increases are:
This also means you’ll have fewer hotels you can redeem your Chase Marriott annual free night with. Because there are ~130 Category 5 hotels that are jumping to Category 6. And just ~45 Category 6 hotels that are dropping to a Category 5. And the annual free night is only valid at Marriott Category 1 through 5 hotels.
Here’s the full list of changes.
Hotels Decreasing in Price
There are ~250 hotels moving to a lower category. That’s a shameful amount compared to the number of hotels increasing in price. A few that caught my eye were:
Want More Marriott Points?
With both the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier card, and the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Small Business card, you can earn 75,000 Marriott points when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account. The annual fee for both cards is waived the first year.
And don’t forget, you can transfer Marriott points to Starwood at a ratio of 3:1 (3 Marriott points = 1 Starwood point).
Bad news for most of us who collect Marriott points! Over ~1,300 Marriott hotels are changing award prices effective March 6, 2018. And ~1,100 of those hotels are going up in price!
Any reservations made before March 6, 2018, will be honored at their current rates. So if you have a hotel in mind that’s scheduled to increase, book soon.
Do these changes complicate or help your upcoming travel?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions – as long as there’s a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Editorial Disclaimer: Neither the editorial content nor the comments on this site are provided by the companies whose products are featured. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser.